At Brightside Dental we understand that from time to time our clients enjoy eating sweet food and drinks. We want to help you enjoy the things you like whilst at the same time work with you to keep your teeth healthy. To help us do this we have provided some information especially for you and your family.
Preventing tooth decay
Many foods and drinks contain sugar that causes tooth decay. To prevent tooth decay you should reduce:
- the amount of sugar in your diet
- how often each day you have food or drink containing sugar
Limit sugary foods to mealtimes and make sure you don’t have food or drinks containing added sugar more than four times a day.
Sugary food and drink
Foods that contain sugar include:
- sweets and chocolate
- cakes and biscuits
- pastries and fruit pies
- sugary breakfast cereals
- jam, honey, sweet sauces and syrups
- ice cream
- fruit in syrup
- dried fruit
Drinks that contain sugar include:
- fresh fruit juice such as orange and apple juices
- some soft drinks such as squashes, cordials and fizzy drinks
- some milk-based drinks such as milkshake mixes
Your dentist or a member of our practice team will talk to you about how to brush your teeth properly. Eating a healthy balanced diet is important too. As well as preventing tooth decay, this will help you to stay healthy.
We hope you enjoy your Easter Egg but don’t forget you can only eat it as a treat straight after a meal so that you don’t damage your teeth.