I recently attended a course learning about the latest research and techniques in placing (composite) white fillings. It is a common thought that once you have learnt how to do something, you don’t need any further knowledge and I could have thought that about white fillings, having been in dentistry for over 20 years.
I feel very fortunate to be part of a profession where there is constant progress and opportunities for learning, as well as having fantastic dentists who are willing to share their knowledge. As with many other professions, it’s great to have wide options for learning – whether it be reading, online or at a seminar.
Here are 5 Benefits of Choosing White Fillings:
- Appearance – Unlike silver coloured fillings, composite fillings can look just like your natural teeth since the colour can be carefully blended for a seamless finish. This makes them an ideal choice for front teeth which would look very unattractive with a silver filling.
- Versatility – Composite resin is very versatile and besides fillings can also be used to repair teeth that are chipped, broken, or badly worn.
- Stability – A composite filling also requires very little of the tooth structure to be removed for placement which means more of your natural tooth is preserved. Since the filling bonds with the actual tooth it offers additional stability for a tooth that has already been weakened by decay or breakage.
- Metal Free – White fillings do not contain any metal. Some countries no longer use mercury containing fillings and studies have suggested that mercury used in amalgam fillings can pose a threat to your health, although this is not conclusive.
- Protection – White fillings are not affected by any changes in temperature which occur in your mouth, unlike amalgam fillings which tend to contract and expand, and this protects your tooth from fracture.
If you would like to know more about white fillings or would want to consider replacement of any existing metal fillings, let us know.